E.M.S. Nagar, Kozhikode, March5–8, 1999
Table of Contents
- The 29th conference of A.I.K.S. started with flag hoisting by senior vice president comrade H.K.S. Surjeet at 10.00a.m. on March 5, 1999, at E.M.S. Nagar Kozhikode and offering of floral tributes to Martyres Column.
- Proceedings started with the adoption of condolence Resolutions and Resolution on Martyres moved by the president Com. Benoy Konar.
- General Secretary Com. S.R. Pillai proposed the time table and Agenda for the Conference and also the names for
a. Steering Committee
b. Credential Committee and the
c. Minutes Committee
- a. The Conference decided that the office Bearers will function as Steering Committee. The following members were unanimously elected to the committees.
b. Credential Committee
- Kanusahu, Chairman (West Bengal)
- Biplab Mazumdar (West Bengal)
- T.S. Prasad (A.P.)
- S.P. Tiwari (Bihar)
- Gopi Kottamurikkal (Kerala)
- Pavitra Kar (Tripura)
- Selvaraj (Tamilnadu)
c. Minutes Committee
- Sanjaya Patajundu (W.B)
- R. Unnikrishna Pillai (Kerala)
- Amar Singh Raghava (H.P.)
- Duli Chand (Rajashtan)
- P.Narasimha Rao (Andhra Pradesh)
- On behalf of Reception Committee Com. Balan Vaidyar delivered his welcome speech, in which he briefly recalled the history of Kerala Peasant Movement and Peasant Movement in Kozhikode in particular along with underlining the burning problems faced by the peasantry at all India level; the imperialist manoeuvres, the communal assault and othe immediate problems, which he hoped would be taken note of in the conference.
- The veteran Kisan Sabha since its birth, Vice president Com. H.K.S. Surjeet then delivered the inaugural speech and declared the conference open (Speech in full printed)
- President Com. Benoy Konar made the presidential speech in which he mainly stressed the importance of strengthening the organisation all over india to meet the present serious situation(Speech in Full printed)
- a. Then followed the greetings speeches by Freddy Huck (T.U.I.). his speech in French was translated by Com. Suneet Chopra in English.
b. Com Atul Kumar Anjan, General Secretary All India Kisan Sabha (Ajay Bhawan); in which he narrated the present situation in the Indian agrarian sector and stresed the need for struggle for Land Reforms and united actions of the left led Kisan Organisations.
c. Com. Bir Singh Mahato, General Secretary of the Agargami Kisan Sabha greeted the conference and wished all success.
- The open inaugural session of the conference came to an end by 2 p.m. on 5.3.99.
- The delegate session of the conference began in the evening with the presentation of General Secretary’s Report by Com.s. Ramachandran Pillai. (Full Report Printed seperately)
- March 6, the second day of the conference was entirely devoted to the general discussion on the General Secretary’s report. In the eight hour discussion 27 delegates from all the 20 states, attending this conference took part in the discussion.
- The level of discussion was high in standard and rich in content. A running thread in all these discussions was the deep awareness of danger of communal danger in the country; realization that all the Bourgeoiseled State Govt. were hell bent in implementing new agrarian policies and general unity in approach towards new liberal economic policies. All the delegates pledged their determination to advance the movement and strengthen the organisation.
- On the morning of March 7, after the reply of General Secretary to the discussion in which he accepted many suggestions and criticism and madesome clearifications on certain issues. The report was unanimously adopted by the conference.
- The statement of Accounts placed by Com. P.K. Tandon was also unanimously adopted.
- Then the Conference was devided into commissions for detailed discussions on specific subjects:
a. New Economic policies and its impact on Agriculture
- Biplab Dasgupta, Chairman (West Bengal)
- E.M. Sreedharan (Kerala)
- K. Balakrishnan (Tamilnadu)
- Ashok Dhawale (Maharashtra)
- Ashok Tiwari (M.P.)
- Duli Chand (Rajasthan)
- Khagen Das (Tripura)
- Srinivas Rao (A.P.)
- Subodh Roy (Bihar)
b. Credit and Prices
- P.k. Tandon, Chairman, Centre
- S.K. Mishra (W.B.)
- S. Malla Reddy (A.P.)
- Kuldip Singh (H.P.)
- Krishna Swaroop (Haryana)
- N. Malusare (Maharashtra)
- B.K. Thakur (Bihar)
- Mohammed Ali (Tamilnadu)
- Badal Chowdhury (Tripura)
- Rachhpal Singh (Punjab)
- Mukut Singh (U.P.)
- Krishna Khopkar (Maharashtra)
c. Animal Husbandry and Fishery
- Mehboob Zahedi, Chairman (W.B.)
- Anisur Rahman (W.B.)
- P. Basan Dass (W.B.)
- Rajendra Prasad Singh (Bihar)
- Kesavan (A.P.)
- Sheopat Singh (Rajasthan)
- Jashvender Singh (M.P.)
- Narayan Rupini (Tripura)
d. Tribal Issue
- Sammar Chowdhury, Chairman (Tripura)
- Baju Ban Riyang (Tripura)
- Upen Kishku (W.B.)
- Dinesh Dhakua (W.B.)
- Shanmughan (Tamilnadu)
- L.B. Dhanger (Maharashtra)
- Sanjay Parekh (M.P.)
- Prem paragi (Rajasthan)
- Ram Deo Varma (Bihar)
- Purno Bodo (Assam)
- Noorul Huda (Assam)
- In each of the commissions there was enriching discussion for four in which several delegates and panelists took part. the reports of discussionswere reported to the conference on 8th. March moring session, which directed the new CKC to formulate the tasks on the basis of commisions reports (Reports in full printed seperately)
- The Conference adopted the following resolutions:
- Resist the dangerous Communal forces (Mover-Benoy Konar, Supporter-Noorul Huda)
- Combat the Imperialists’ Offensive (Mover-N.K. Shukla, Supporter-Jagannath Mishra)
- Opposing the Patents Legislation (Mover-Biplab Das Gupta, Supporter-E.M. Shridharam)
- Against Social Atrocities (Mover-V. Shri Niwas Rao, Supporter-Rachpal Songh)
- On Indebtedness Credit and Prices (Mover-Kuldip Singh, Supporter-P.K. Tandan)
- On issues of Tribals, (Mover-Samar Chawdhury, Supporter-Upen Kishku)
- Condemning the landlord’s attacks on Dalits in Bihar and call for fund collections to help the family members of the victims. (Mover-Kanti Biswas, Supporter-Bijoykant Thakur)
- Chairman of the Credential Committee Com. Kanu Sahu then placed the Credential’s Report and the Conference unanimously adopted it (Annexed)
- Com. Benoy Konar, outgoing Presidnt, proposed the name of Com. S.Ramachandran Pillai as the next President and that was unanimously approved by the conference with thunderous aplause.
- Then the conference unanimously elected members to the A.I.K.C.
- The new A.I.K.C. met and elected other office Bearars and C.K.C. members. (List annexed)
- Com S. Ramchandran Paillai, who thanked the delegates. In his brief speech, he recordedthe valuable help and guidance given by the out going president Com. Benoy Konar,whom he described as one of the symbols of the peasant’s movementin India.
- The conference then concluded after Com. Benoy Konar profously thanked the volunteers and comrades of Kerala for hosting the conference in an excellent manner.
- On the Evening of March 8, a big massive Mass Rally was held at A.K.G. Nagar, Kozhikode Beach, which was presided over by Com. s. Ramchandran Pillai, inaguarated by Com. Benoy Konar and was addressed by E.K. Naynar, V.S. Achuthanandan, K. Varadharajan, Paloli Mohammed Kutty, A. Vijayaraghavan and T.U.I President Freddy Huck.
- The Conference was greeted by Com. M.K. Pandhe (CITU); Vijaya Raghawan (AIAWU); P. Krishna Prasad (SFI) and N. Krishna Dass (D.Y.F.I) besides Com. E.K. Naynar, the Chief Minister of Kerala.
Date: March5–8, 1999